Can ‘Cough CPR’ Save Your Life During a Heart Attack? … yes, by coughing very vigorously every 2nd second
Published on Urban Legends, by David Emery, rumor circulating since 1999.
… HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE:
- Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, this article seemed in order.) Without help the person whose heart stops beating properly and who begins to feel Faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.
- However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating.
- The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a phone and, between breaths, call for help.
- Tell as many other people as possible about this, it could save their lives!
- from Health Cares, Rochester General Hospital via Chapter 240′s newsletter AND THE BEAT GOES ON… (reprint from The Mended Hearts, Inc. publication, Heart Response).